Peppermint Oat Bars Recipe
Peppermint, oatmeal and chocolate chips are a terrific combination in this recipe shared by Connie Major Williams from Dexter, Michigan. The bars obviously were a hit with her brother-in-law. "The first time he tasted them, he said, 'Mmmm...can you buy these someplace?'" she recalls.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar and butter. Stir in nuts (mixture will be crumbly). Set aside 3/4 cup for topping.
- Press the remaining mixture into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in chocolate chips and peppermint candies.
- Pour over crust; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Peppermint Oat Bars in Country Woman November/December 2001, p21
Reviews for Peppermint Oat Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review