"These melt-in-your-mouth cookies are super as a Christmas gift or to pass around when guests drop in," says field editor Dixie Terry of Goreville, Illinois.
18 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with salt and cream
- of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating
- until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto
- ungreased foil or paper-lined baking sheets; sprinkle with the
- crushed candy. Bake at 225° for 1-1/2 hours. Turn off heat;
- leave cookies in the oven with the door ajar for at least 1 hour or
- until cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 21 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0.55 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.