Peppermint Meringue Cookies Recipe
Green and red swirls set these whimsical delights apart from any other meringue recipe. They look like they came straight from Candy Land. Each melt-in-your-mouth bite packs just the right amount of refreshing peppermint flavor that's perfectly complemented by the bottom layer of chocolate.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Red and green paste food coloring, optional
- 6 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, chopped
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the cream of tartar, peppermint extract and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- If desired, using a new small paintbrush, paint four alternating red and green stripes inside a pastry bag fitted with a #2D star tip. Fill bag with meringue. Pipe 1-1/2-in.-diameter cookies onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets, repainting stripes if necessary.
- Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Carefully remove meringues from parchment paper.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip bottoms of meringues into melted coating, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Peppermint Meringue Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p77
Reviews for Peppermint Meringue Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Holiday Cookie Recipes >
- Low Carb Desserts >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >