Peppermint Meringue Clouds Recipe
I love to bake so my kitchen gets a real workout every Christmas. This unique recipe combines both sugar and meringue cookies. —June Rolf, Norwood, Minnesota
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 1/2 cup crushed spearmint candies
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the egg whites, salt, vinegar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in chocolate chips. Transfer half of the meringue to another bowl. Fold peppermint candies into one portion and spearmint candies into the remaining portion.
- 3. Shape cookie dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Drop meringue by teaspoonfuls into the center of each cookie. Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie equals 97 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Peppermint Meringue Clouds
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC