Peppermint Kisses Recipe
"These are fun, refreshing and low in fat!" notes field editor Lynn Bernstetter of Lake Elmo, Minnesota.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes (one green, one red), crushed
- 1. In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff and glossy.
- 2. Spoon meringue into a pastry bag or a resealable plastic bag. If using a plastic bag, cut a 1-in. hole in a corner.
- 3. Squeeze 1-1/2-in. kisses of meringue onto ungreased foil-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle half with red crushed candy canes and half with green candy canes.
- 4. Bake at 225° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until dry but not brown. Cool; remove from foil. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 32 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC