Peppermint Kisses Recipe
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 regular-size peppermint candy canes (one green, one red), crushed
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 225;. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition. Continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- 3. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag. Transfer egg whites to bag. Pipe 1-1/2-in. cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle half with crushed red candy canes; the other half with green.
- 4. Bake until firm but not brown, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 cookie: 16 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Peppermint Kisses
"I probably should have beaten the egg whites a while longer, since they weren't as stiff as I would have liked. The cookies still look beautiful and were nice and crunchy after 1 1/2 hours."
"These are easy and fun to make. My boys help me crush the candy canes and I put the mixture into a piping frosting bag with an open star tip and they are very cute. My 5th grader just loves these. When I asked what he wanted to bring for his class Christmas party he said "glass cookies!" That is what he calls them. :)"
"I like to tint them lightly."
"A nice healthy alternative sweet treat :)"
"Very easy to make and very tasty. Used red and green striped candy canes. Piped them out on the smaller size so it made a lot of kisses. Great addition to our cookie trays. Will make again."
"This is a family favorite...everyone askes me to make this every year"