"These are fun, refreshing and low in fat!" notes field editor Lynn Bernstetter of Lake Elmo, Minnesota.
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes (one green, one red), crushed
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar;
- beat until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time,
- until stiff and glossy.
- Spoon meringue into a pastry bag or a resealable plastic bag. If
- using a plastic bag, cut a 1-in. hole in a corner.
- Squeeze 1-1/2-in. kisses of meringue onto ungreased foil-lined baking
- sheets. Sprinkle half with red crushed candy canes and half with
- green candy canes.
- Bake at 225° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until dry but not brown.
- Cool; remove from foil. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 32 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.