- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes (one green, one red), crushed
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff and glossy.
- Spoon meringue into a pastry bag or a resealable plastic bag. If using a plastic bag, cut a 1-in. hole in a corner.
- Squeeze 1-1/2-in. kisses of meringue onto ungreased foil-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle half with red crushed candy canes and half with green candy canes.
- Bake at 225° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until dry but not brown. Cool; remove from foil. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Peppermint Kisses
"I probably should have beaten the egg whites a while longer, since they weren't as stiff as I would have liked. The cookies still look beautiful and were nice and crunchy after 1 1/2 hours."
"These are easy and fun to make. My boys help me crush the candy canes and I put the mixture into a piping frosting bag with an open star tip and they are very cute. My 5th grader just loves these. When I asked what he wanted to bring for his class Christmas party he said "glass cookies!" That is what he calls them. :)"
"I like to tint them lightly."
"A nice healthy alternative sweet treat :)"
"Very easy to make and very tasty. Used red and green striped candy canes. Piped them out on the smaller size so it made a lot of kisses. Great addition to our cookie trays. Will make again."
"This is a family favorite...everyone askes me to make this every year"
"i didnt like this at all. it said to cook for 2 hrs or until dry but not brown. my turn brown in 40 mins. and it wasn't me. plus they are tasteless besides the candy cane. not the best for cookies"
"The recipe is obliterated by the picture"