Peppermint Ice Cream Cake
When Crafting Traditions staffers saw the enticing cake recipe Gloria shared recently, they excitedly added it to our sweet gathering of birthday treats. And for good reasonto make it, Gloria uses candy-flavored ice cream! "This is the kind of dessert that's perfect for any special occasion," Gloria comments. "Traditionally, I fix it for our December 24 celebration." What's also nice is the
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + freezing
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar (7 ounces)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 gallon peppermint stick ice cream, softened
- 2 cups whipped topping
- Peppermint candy canes or crushed peppermint candies
- Place cereal in large bowl; set aside. Grate or shave 2 tablespoons
- of chocolate from candy bar; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, melt
- butter and remaining chocolate; stir until smooth.
- Pour over cereal and stir to coat. Press into the bottom of a greased
- 10-in. springform pan. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Spoon ice cream over crust. Freeze for 15 minutes. Spread with
- whipped topping; sprinkle with the shaved chocolate. Cover and
- freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Top with candy. Remove cake from freezer 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Remove sides of pan; cut with a sharp knife and serve immediately.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 487 calories, 29 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.