Peppermint Hard Candy
This easy-to-make clear hard candy has a mint flavor from the combination of peppermint and vanilla extracts. Plus, the eye-catching sweets won't stick to your teeth.
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1
- tablespoon butter; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine
- sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
- occasionally. Cover and cook for 3 minutes to dissolve sugar
- crystals. Uncover; cook over medium-high heat, without stirring,
- until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in extracts and food coloring. Pour into
- prepared pan. Cool; break into pieces. Store in airtight containers.
- Yield: about 1-1/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 ounces) equals 261 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.