Peppermint Freezer Pie Recipe
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart peppermint ice cream, softened
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons crushed peppermint-stick candy
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Stir in milk and sugar. Cook and stir for 8 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool completely.
- 2. Spread half of the ice cream into pastry shell; freeze until firm. Spread half of the chocolate mixture over ice cream; freeze until set. Repeat layers. Freeze for several hours or overnight.
- 3. In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar, water and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes.
- 4. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add vanilla. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Fold in peppermint candy. Spread over top of pie. Cover and freeze until serving. Pie may be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 444 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Peppermint Freezer Pie
"My family doesn't care for meringue so I changed it up a little. I always have leftover chocolate so I spread it over the top of the pie before freezing. I never have enough of this so I have begun making two. It's a new family favorite!"