Peppermint Freezer Pie Recipe
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart peppermint ice cream, softened
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons crushed peppermint-stick candy
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Stir in milk and sugar. Cook and stir for 8 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool completely.
- 2. Spread half of the ice cream into pastry shell; freeze until firm. Spread half of the chocolate mixture over ice cream; freeze until set. Repeat layers. Freeze for several hours or overnight.
- 3. In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar, water and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes.
- 4. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add vanilla. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Fold in peppermint candy. Spread over top of pie. Cover and freeze until serving. Pie may be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 444 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Peppermint Freezer Pie
"My family doesn't care for meringue so I changed it up a little. I always have leftover chocolate so I spread it over the top of the pie before freezing. I never have enough of this so I have begun making two. It's a new family favorite!"