Peppermint Freezer Pie Recipe
Refreshing peppermint ice cream plus fudgy chocolate plus fluffy meringue equals the perfect pie for the holidays! Kelli Bucy of Red Oak, Iowa shares this lovely dessert that's become a Christmas tradition. You can make and freeze the pie well in advance.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart peppermint ice cream, softened
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons crushed peppermint-stick candy
- In a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Stir in milk and sugar. Cook and stir for 8 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool completely.
- Spread half of the ice cream into pastry shell; freeze until firm. Spread half of the chocolate mixture over ice cream; freeze until set. Repeat layers. Freeze for several hours or overnight.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar, water and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add vanilla. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Fold in peppermint candy. Spread over top of pie. Cover and freeze until serving. Pie may be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Peppermint Freezer Pie in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p68
Reviews for Peppermint Freezer Pie(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 2, 2009
My family doesn't care for meringue so I changed it up a little. I always have leftover chocolate so I spread it over the top of the pie before freezing. I never have enough of this so I have begun making two. It's a new family favorite!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Chocolate Pie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Ice Cream Pies >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- Make Ahead Desserts >