Peppermint Divinity Recipe
This light and airy divinity is like a bit of heaven on earth! It keeps well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + standing YIELD:36 servings
- 2 egg whites
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1. Place egg whites in a large stand mixer bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line three 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pans with waxed paper; set aside.
- 2. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage). Just before the temperature is reached, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- 3. Slowly pour hot sugar mixture in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly. Add vanilla. Beat until candy loses its gloss and holds its shape, about 5-6 minutes. Immediately stir in crushed candies and food coloring if desired. (Do not overmix, or candy will get stiff and crumbly.)
- 4. Quickly drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared pans. Let stand at room temperature overnight or until dry to the touch. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 73 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC