Several years ago, I took a basic shortbread recipe and turned it into a much more festive Christmas cookie. These gems are now a family favorite and a must-have during the holidays. —Heather Carter, Wasilla, Alaska
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Red and green paste food coloring
- 8 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, melted
- 3/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half; tint one portion red and the other green. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Dip half of each cookie into melted candy coating; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with crushed candies. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Peppermint Crunch Christmas Cookies in Taste of Home December 2013
Reviews for Peppermint Crunch Christmas Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review