I received this treasured recipe from a dear friend years ago. The frosting and topping make these thin brownies eye-catching.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add the chocolate mixture and mix well. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, cream butter, sugar and extract until light and fluffy. Add enough cream until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled bars. Melt chocolate and butter; drizzle over frosting. Cut into bars. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Peppermint Chocolate Bars in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p83
Reviews for Peppermint Chocolate Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review