Peppermint Cake Rolls
With angel food cake, fudge sauce and peppermints, this cake roll is easy and pretty. —Suellen Calhoun, Des Moines, Iowa
20 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min + cooling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 cup hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies, divided
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- Line two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans with waxed paper. Prepare
- cake mix according to package directions. Divide batter evenly into
- prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until tops spring back when
- lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Invert each cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners'
- sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll
- style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix whipped topping and extract until blended.
- Unroll cakes; spread each with 1-1/2 cups peppermint mixture to
- within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a food-safe plastic bag; fill with
- fudge topping. Drizzle each cake with half of the fudge topping;
- sprinkle with 2 tablespoons crushed candies. Roll up again, without