Peppermint Cake Rolls Recipe
With angel food cake, fudge sauce and peppermints, this cake roll is easy and pretty. —Suellen Calhoun, Des Moines, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 cup hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies, divided
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- 1. Line two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans with waxed paper. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 3. Invert each cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. In a small bowl, mix whipped topping and extract until blended. Unroll cakes; spread each with 1-1/2 cups peppermint mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 5. Cut a small hole in the corner of a food-safe plastic bag; fill with fudge topping. Drizzle each cake with half of the fudge topping; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons crushed candies. Roll up again, without towel.
- 6. Transfer to platters. Frost with remaining peppermint mixture. Just before serving, top with remaining candies and, if desired, mint leaves. Yield: 2 cakes (10 slices each).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC