Peppermint Cake Log Recipe
Each Christmas, my husband only asks for one thing...this chocolate mint cake roll! This fluffy filling pairs well with the tender cake. Robyn Anderson, Sugar Grove, Illinois
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla until thick and lemon-colored. Add dry ingredients alternately with water just until blended. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in crushed candies. Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For glaze, combine the butter, cocoa and water in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Peppermint Cake Log in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p95
Reviews for Peppermint Cake Log(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review