- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla until thick and lemon-colored. Add dry ingredients alternately with water just until blended. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in crushed candies. Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For glaze, combine the butter, cocoa and water in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Peppermint Cake Log in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p95
Reviews for Peppermint Cake Log
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review