My grandmother encouraged me to enter these mint brownies in the county fair many years ago—and they earned top honors! They're a chewy treat to serve during the holidays. —Marcy Greenblatt, Redding, California
Recommended: 42 Holiday Party Snacks Every Host Should Know
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil; grease foil.
- In a bowl, whisk together first four ingredients. In a large bowl, beat oil and sugar until blended. Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add flour mixture; stir in peppermint candies. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over brownies; sprinkle with candies. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Peppermint Brownies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p34
Reviews for Peppermint Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2016
"Really, really, good!"
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2016
"I made these for my family and they raved over them. The peppermint is a perfect amount, not too overwhelming."
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2011
"Added a cup of chopped walnuts . Liked the taste, but they were a little dry and hard."