My grandmother encouraged me to enter these mint brownies in the county fair some years ago— and they earned top honors! They're a great chewy treat to serve during the holidays.
Featured In: 42 Holiday Party Snacks Every Host Should Know
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup crushed peppermint candy, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil; grease foil and set aside. In a large bowl, beat oil and sugar until blended. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to oil mixture. Set aside 2 tablespoons peppermint candy for garnish; stir in remaining candy. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over brownies; sprinkle with reserved candy. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Peppermint Brownies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p34
Reviews for Peppermint Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2016
"I made these for my family and they raved over them. The peppermint is a perfect amount, not too overwhelming."
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2011
"Added a cup of chopped walnuts . Liked the taste, but they were a little dry and hard."