- 8 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies, divided
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt; beat on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan; cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan. Cut
- cake horizontally into three layers. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate. Top with 1/2 cup whipped topping; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons crushed candies. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining whipped topping over the entire cake. Sprinkle with remaining candies. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Peppermint Angel Torte in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p65
Reviews for Peppermint Angel Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review