Peppermint Angel Torte Recipe
"My mom gave me this fantastic recipe more than 40 years ago," recalls Jan Harris of Murrieta, California. "We always called it 'celebration cake'. Carrying on her tradition, I serve it for Christmas and Valentine's Day."
- 8 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies, divided
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt; beat on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan; cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan. Cut
- cake horizontally into three layers. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate. Top with 1/2 cup whipped topping; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons crushed candies. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining whipped topping over the entire cake. Sprinkle with remaining candies. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Peppermint Angel Torte in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p65
Reviews for Peppermint Angel Torte(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Angel Food Cake >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >