Peppered Squash Relish Recipe
I cook for a local middle school and have been making this relish more than 25 years. Whenever I take it to a dinner or picnic, it is sure to go fast, and I get lots of requests for the recipe. Sometimes I put it into gift baskets with other homemade goodies. —Rose Cole Salem, West Virginia
- 3 pounds yellow summer squash, finely chopped
- 3 pounds zucchini, finely chopped
- 6 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, finely chopped
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- 2. Drain vegetable mixture. Rinse in cold water and drain again. Place vegetables in a Dutch oven. Add sugars, vinegar, celery seed, turmeric and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until liquid is clear.
- 3. Remove from heat; cool. Spoon into containers. Refrigerate, covered, up to 3 weeks. Yield: 4 quarts.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC