- 3 pounds yellow summer squash, finely chopped
- 3 pounds zucchini, finely chopped
- 6 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, finely chopped
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Drain vegetable mixture. Rinse in cold water and drain again. Place vegetables in a Dutch oven. Add sugars, vinegar, celery seed, turmeric and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until liquid is clear.
- Remove from heat; cool. Spoon into containers. Refrigerate, covered, up to 3 weeks. Yield: 4 quarts.
Reviews for Peppered Squash Relish
Sort By :
"Just made this awesome relish! I cut the recipe in half. I ran out of brown sugar, only had 1/2 cup so used coconut sugar for the other 1/2. Also didn't use white sugar, used organic cane sugar instead. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly. Turned out amazing! Won't be buying store bought relish ever again! Going to try to freeze some as I don't want to bother with canning it."