Peppered Pork Pitas
The combination of tender pork and sweet red peppers in these sandwiches will appeal to the whole family. Sometimes I also add caramelized onions. The sandwiches are especially good with garlic mayo. Have fun experimenting with your own variations. —Katherine White, Clemmons, North Carolina
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound boneless pork loin chops, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and julienned
- 4 whole pita breads, warmed
- Garlic mayonnaise and torn leaf lettuce, optional
- In a small bowl, combine pork, oil, pepper and garlic; toss to coat.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork mixture; cook
- and stir until no longer pink. Stir in red peppers; heat through.
- Serve on pita breads with mayonnaise and lettuce if desired. Yield:
- 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup pork mixture with 1 pita bread equals 380 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 665 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.