Peppered Focaccia Recipe
- 2-3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a saucepan, heat water and 2 tablespoons oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on low speed just until moistened. Beat on medium until batter is elastic and pulls away from sides of bowl. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Press each portion into a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Brush with remaining oil; top with peppers and cheese. Sprinkle with pepper flakes if desired, basil, oregano, garlic powder, pepper and remaining salt. Let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 focaccias (8 slices each).
One slice equals 134 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Peppered Focaccia
"Loved it. Used peppers from my summer crop and made it often."
"We all REALLlY enjoyed this recipe! YUM!"