- 2-3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a saucepan, heat water and 2 tablespoons oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on low speed just until moistened. Beat on medium until batter is elastic and pulls away from sides of bowl. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Press each portion into a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Brush with remaining oil; top with peppers and cheese. Sprinkle with pepper flakes if desired, basil, oregano, garlic powder, pepper and remaining salt. Let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 focaccias (8 slices each).
Originally published as Peppered Focaccia in Light & Tasty August/September 2001, p54
Reviews for Peppered Focaccia
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 25, 2012
"Loved it. Used peppers from my summer crop and made it often."
Reviewed Feb. 1, 2011
"We all REALLlY enjoyed this recipe! YUM!"