Peppered Corn Bread Recipe
Pretty flecks of jalapeno and red peppers peek out from this golden corn bread. It has a mild flavor, which appeals to all palates. —Ila Bray, Pelham, North Carolina
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 to 5 green onions, chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, corn, buttermilk and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in the cheese, peppers and onions.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 217 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC