Peppered Corn Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 to 5 green onions, chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, corn, buttermilk and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in the cheese, peppers and onions.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 217 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Peppered Corn Bread
"There is too much vegetable oil in this recipe. Is this a misprint? Otherwise,very good recipe.Please advise as to correct amount of oil to use."
"I served this along with my favorite chili recipe when we had "Mexican Night" at our home. It was a great hit. One of my guests who enjoys corn bread says it was the best he's ever tasted."