Pretty flecks of jalapeno and red peppers peek out from this golden corn bread. It has a mild flavor, which appeals to all palates. —Ila Bray, Pelham, North Carolina
Featured In: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 to 5 green onions, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, corn, buttermilk and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in the cheese, peppers and onions.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Peppered Corn Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p219
Reviews for Peppered Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 5, 2016
"There is too much vegetable oil in this recipe. Is this a misprint? Otherwise,very good recipe.Please advise as to correct amount of oil to use."