- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 to 5 green onions, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, corn, buttermilk and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in the cheese, peppers and onions.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Peppered Corn Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p219
Reviews for Peppered Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2011
"I served this along with my favorite chili recipe when we had "Mexican Night" at our home. It was a great hit. One of my guests who enjoys corn bread says it was the best he's ever tasted."