Peppered Cilantro Rice
This colorful confetti rice is a traditional dish in Puerto Rico. We enjoy it in the summer alongside grilled shrimp kabobs, but it is good with most any entree.
-Laura Lunardi of West Chester, Pennsylvania
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, peppers and garlic in oil until
- crisp-tender. Add the water, rice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until rice is
- Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork. Stir in cilantro. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 156 calories, 3 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.