Peppered Chicken Pizza Recipe
A homemade crust is topped with tender chicken, barbecue sauce, red pepper flakes and broiled peppers in this crowd-pleasing specialty from Julie DeRuwe. "I like to prepare the vegetables and other toppings in advance so I can easily assemble this pizza for a fast, delicious dinner," says the Oakville, Washington subscriber.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the flours, oil, sugar and salt until smooth. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough; let stand for 10 minutes. Roll out to a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan coated with cooking spray. Let stand for 10 minutes. Prick with a fork. Bake at 375° for 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic and salt; let stand for 15 minutes. Place peppers and onion on a baking sheet; drizzle with half of the oil mixture. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned; set aside.
- Toss chicken with pepper flakes and remaining oil mixture; place on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Arrange vegetables and chicken over crust. Drizzle with barbecue sauce; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 20 appetizer servings.
Originally published as Peppered Chicken Pizza in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p28
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Peppered Chicken Pizza(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizer Pizza Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Baking Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Appetizers >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cocktail Party Appetizers >
- Diabetic Appetizers >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Healthy Appetizers >
- Healthy Cooking Appetizers >
- Healthy Finger Foods >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >