Peppered Brown Rice
"After searching through cookbooks without finding a brown rice recipe I liked, I decided to create my own," relates Orien Major of Hinton, Alberta. Pretty red, yellow and green peppers peek through this versatile side dish.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup each chopped sweet red, yellow and green pepper
- 6 to 8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Stir in
- rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the
- water is absorbed. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the
- vegetables in oil until tender. Stir in the tarragon and rice; heat
- through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 287 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 431 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.