"After searching through cookbooks without finding a brown rice recipe I liked, I decided to create my own," relates Orien Major of Hinton, Alberta. Pretty red, yellow and green peppers peek through this versatile side dish.
Featured In: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup each chopped sweet red, yellow and green pepper
- 6 to 8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the vegetables in oil until tender. Stir in the tarragon and rice; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Peppered Brown Rice in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p15
Reviews for Peppered Brown Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review