Peppered Beef Tenderloin Steaks
“I found this recipe just about the time I was getting brave about using herbs and rubs to flavor meats,” recalls Karin Woodbury of Ocala, Florida. “My family loved the taste and it's been a favorite ever since.”
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (4 ounces each)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking
- spray; add onions. Cook and stir over medium heat for 25-30 minutes
- or until tender and browned. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, vinegar and
- sugar. Remove and keep warm.
- Combine the pepper, thyme and remaining salt; rub over steaks. In the
- same skillet, cook steaks for 4-7 minutes on each side or until meat
- reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read
- 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with onions.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon,