Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones Recipe
Mmm! That's what you'll hear as you serve a platter of these buttery, savory scones. The bacon and cheese flavor combination is a welcomed change of pace to the usual sweet varieties often served at brunch. —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese, bacon and shallot. Whisk buttermilk and egg; set aside 1 tablespoon. Stir remainder into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 2. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with reserved milk mixture. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
1 scone equals 428 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 903 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC