Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones Recipe
Mmm! That's what you'll hear as you serve a platter of these buttery, savory scones. The bacon and cheese flavor combination is a welcomed change of pace to the usual sweet varieties often served at brunch. —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese, bacon and shallot.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk until blended; reserve 1 tablespoon mixture for brushing scones. Stir remaining mixture into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Place wedges on a greased baking sheet. Brush with reserved buttermilk mixture.
- 4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
1 scone equals 433 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 718 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Reviews for Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC