Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones Recipe
Mmm! That's what you'll hear as you serve a platter of these buttery, savory scones. The bacon and cheese flavor combination is a welcomed change of pace to the usual sweet varieties often served at brunch. —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese, bacon and shallot. Whisk buttermilk and egg; set aside 1 tablespoon. Stir remainder into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with reserved milk mixture. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
Originally published as Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p154
Reviews for Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review