Peppercorn Steaks Recipe
These tender peppered steaks get plenty of zip from a quick-to-fix sauce flavored with mustard and Worcestershire.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 boneless beef top loin steaks (8 ounces each)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. Rub pepper over both sides of steaks. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. In an ungreased skillet, brown steaks on both sides over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; add butter and garlic; cook for 4-6 minutes, turning steaks once. Add Worcestershire sauce; cook 4-6 minutes longer, turning once, or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove steaks and keep warm.
- 2. Combine wine or broth, mustard and sugar; add to the pan. Stir to loosen browned bits. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the steaks. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC