Peppercorn Beef Top Loin Roast Recipe
- 1 beef top round roast (4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole peppercorns, crushed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups port wine
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1. Trim fat from roast. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, peppercorns, garlic and salt. Rub over meat. Place in a shallow roasting pan.
- 2. Bake at 325° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce until blended. Add wines. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1-1/2 cups. Serve with roast. Yield: 10 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
5 ounce-weight: 444 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 32g protein.
Reviews for Peppercorn Beef Top Loin Roast
"It was great to find a flavorful low sodium option for my father in law. I even used a little less salt than it calls for. I made this to replace the high sodium lunch meat he has for lunch."