Pepper-Topped Beef Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 12 ounces thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 6 sandwich rolls, split
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the red and green peppers, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until peppers are tender, about 10 minutes. Add sugar; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Discard bay leaf. Place beef on rolls; top with pepper mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 325 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 0 fat.