Pepper-Topped Beef Sandwiches
Pepper provide a perfect way to perk up a plain roast beef sandwich, I make a platterful of these family favorites for gatherings with our five children and grandkids at our country home in the Ozark hills.
Leota Recknor of Ash Grove, Missouri
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 12 ounces thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 6 sandwich rolls, split
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add the red and green peppers, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook and
- stir until peppers are tender, about 10 minutes. Add sugar; cover
- and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Discard bay leaf. Place beef on rolls; top with pepper mixture.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One sandwich equals 325 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 546 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat,