Pepper-Stuffed Pork Chops Recipe
From the kitchen of Hope MacFarlane of Lincoln, Nebraska come these succulent chops practically overflowing with delicious stuffing. “This is a great change of pace,” says Hope, “especially when company's coming.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup cubed bread
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 bone-in pork rib chops (3/4 inch thick and 7 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the red pepper and onion in 1 teaspoon oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the bread cubes, chilies and corn; cook 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a bowl; stir in cheese.
- 3. Cut a pocket in each pork chop by slicing almost to the bone; fill with stuffing. Secure with toothpicks if necessary. Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper.
- 4. Coat the same skillet with cooking spray; add remaining oil. Cook chops over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until browned. Reduce heat; cover and cook 5-8 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Discard toothpicks before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1 pork chop equals 307 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 425 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC