Pepper Steak Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cooked beef sirloin or round steak (3/4 pound), thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 French or Italian sandwich rolls, split and toasted
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the green peppers, onion and half of the garlic in oil until vegetables are tender. Add steak, salt if desired and pepper; heat through.
- 2. Blend butter and remaining garlic; spread over cut side of rolls. Place steak mixture on bottom halves; replace roll tops. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with reduced-fat margarine and without salt; calculated without roll) equals 252 calories, 16 g fat (0 saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 1 vegetable.