Pepper Steak for One
Have a taste for pepper steak? There's no need to make enough to feed the whole neighborhood!" This small-quantity recipe, suggested by Rita Winterberger of Huson, Montana, yields savory and satisfying results.
1 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 ounces beef round steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sliced green pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Pound steak to tenderize; cut into 1/4-in. strips. In a skillet,
- brown steak in oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, onions
- and garlic; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Combine cornstarch, water and
- soy sauce until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve over rice if desired.
- Yield: 1 serving.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 320 calories, 17 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 648 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.