Pepper Steak for 2 Recipe
- 1/2 pound beef round steak (3/4 inch thick), trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into rings
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. Cut meat into 2-in. x 1-in. strips; brown in a skillet in oil for 10 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3-4 minutes. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; pour into skillet. Sprinkle meat with pepper. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 2. Add tomatoes and green pepper; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine cold water, cornstarch and soy sauce; stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Serve over noodles if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with low-sodium bouillon and tomatoes and light soy sauce and served without noodles) equals 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch; also, 355 calories, 233 mg sodium, 82 mg cholesterol, 25 gm carbohydrate, 32 protein, 14 gm fat.
Reviews for Pepper Steak for 2
"Made this for dinner tonight and my husband and I loved it. Easy and delicious."
"This is a great recipe. So yummy."
"Quick prep time, tastes better than take-out. I made a few changes, I used beef stock instead of water and beef bouillon cube, and used a whole small onion. Next time will use more pepper. Overall good recipe."
"This recipe was great. I did add red wine and a little more garlic and served it over rice."
"This was good, nothing spectacular in my opinion but my husband really liked it alot, it was not a winner with the kiddos though, my 12 year old picked at it but did eat it, my 3 year old took one bite and spit it out, so we just gave him the noodles with some cheese instead."
"I madethis weekend and none of it was left. thank you"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.