Pepper Steak for 2 Recipe
- 1/2 pound beef round steak (3/4 inch thick), trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into rings
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. Cut meat into 2-in. x 1-in. strips; brown in a skillet in oil for 10 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3-4 minutes. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; pour into skillet. Sprinkle meat with pepper. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 2. Add tomatoes and green pepper; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine cold water, cornstarch and soy sauce; stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Serve over noodles if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with low-sodium bouillon and tomatoes and light soy sauce and served without noodles) equals 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch; also, 355 calories, 233 mg sodium, 82 mg cholesterol, 25 gm carbohydrate, 32 protein, 14 gm fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.