Pepper Sausage Pizza Recipe
Fresh spinach gives this recipe from our Test Kitchen a tasty twist. That leafy green plus yellow peppers, snow-white mushrooms and tomato sauce make this a colorful addition to you pizza buffet table.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pizza seasoning or Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to. 450° In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast and sugar. Add water; beat until smooth. Add the oil, salt, dried basil, pepper, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 2 cups flour; beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high 30 seconds or just until wilted. Uncover and set aside.
- 3. Press dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pizza sauce; sprinkle with 2-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, sausage, onion, spinach, mushrooms and yellow pepper. Top with
- 4. remaining Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Sprinkle with pizza seasoning. Bake 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with fresh basil if desired. Cut into squares. Yield: 15 slices.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC