Pepper Sausage Pizza Recipe
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pizza seasoning or Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, optional
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast and sugar. Add water; beat until smooth. Add the oil, salt, dried basil, pepper, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 2 cups flour; beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds or just until wilted. Uncover and set aside.
- Press dough into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread with pizza sauce; sprinkle with 2-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, sausage, onion, spinach, mushrooms and yellow pepper. Top with
- remaining Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Sprinkle with pizza seasoning. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with fresh basil if desired. Cut into squares. Yield: 15 slices.
This recipe pairs well with a sweet red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Fizz 56 Brachetto Italy N/V, sparkling and sweet with hints of raspberry and cherry. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Pepper Sausage Pizza
Sort By :
I just have to say that this pizza is awesome. I love that it has spinach on it as one of the toppings. I made this for my children and they loved it. They said that they will eat spinach this way only. Hey what ever it takes to get them to eat veggies I'm all for it.