Pepper Jelly Recipe
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 7 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- About 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1. Place the jalapeno, half of the green peppers and half of the vinegar in a blender or food processor; puree. Pour into a large bowl. Puree remaining green peppers and vinegar; add to the bowl. Add apple juice; mix well. Cover and chill overnight. Strain through several layers of damp cheesecloth. Measure 4 cups juice into a Dutch oven (add water if needed to make 4 cups). Stir in pectin and salt; bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar; return to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 2. Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Add food coloring if desired. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 6 half-pints.
Editor's Note: When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face. The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.