- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 7 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- About 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- Place the jalapeno, half of the green peppers and half of the vinegar in a blender or food processor; puree. Pour into a large bowl. Puree remaining green peppers and vinegar; add to the bowl. Add apple juice; mix well. Cover and chill overnight. Strain through several layers of damp cheesecloth. Measure 4 cups juice into a Dutch oven (add water if needed to make 4 cups). Stir in pectin and salt; bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar; return to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Add food coloring if desired. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 6 half-pints.
Reviews for Pepper Jelly
"Great recipe. Was wondering if I could use this same recipe with red peppers???"
"I used my juicer and apple cider 'flavored' vinegar and about 1/4 teaspoon butter to settle the foam and this jam set up wonderfully. Made two batches right away and the first batch was set by the time I finished with the second one! Next time will try more jalapeno for a bit more hot flavor for our taste. Will make again and often. Think it will be great with a red jelly at Christmas as gifts!"