Pepper Jack Mac Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash salt and pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 3/4 teaspoon drippings.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in drippings and butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; stir macaroni and bacon into sauce mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Pepper Jack Mac(10)
Sort By :
This was amazing mac and cheese, not really spicy at all - just flavorful. I won't be making it again though, it just isn't worth the effort with a husband who, "prefers K.D.".
I left out the mushrooms because I didn't have any, and used real bacon bits rather than taking time to fry bacon. I had some bacon fat in the freezer so used a bit of that to saute the onions in. I also tripled the recipe because even though it was just my husband and me, I wanted some left over. Oh -- I used gluten free elbows, the brown rice variety, for the pasta. We loved this dish and my husband would like me to make this recipe again soon. A keeper, and I loved how quick and easy it was!
This was great! I'll double it next time, because there just isn't enough for everyone to enjoy- I added more bacon too- because I like it!
This dish surprised me. Honestly, I had never used pepper jack cheese so the spice was a little shock, but delicious. I used wheat macaroni, fat-free and reduced sodium chicken broth, low sodium bacon and skim milk to help with some of the nutritional numbers, but it clearly didn't affect the taste. Delicious!
I was really looking forward to making this, but it just didn't turn out like I expected. Maybe it was because I had to increase the recipe for a family of 6, but it just wasn't that great.
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >