Pepper Jack Mac Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash salt and pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 3/4 teaspoon drippings.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in drippings and butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; stir macaroni and bacon into sauce mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Pepper Jack Mac
Sort By :
"This was amazing mac and cheese, not really spicy at all - just flavorful. I won't be making it again though, it just isn't worth the effort with a husband who, "prefers K.D."."
"I left out the mushrooms because I didn't have any, and used real bacon bits rather than taking time to fry bacon. I had some bacon fat in the freezer so used a bit of that to saute the onions in. I also tripled the recipe because even though it was just my husband and me, I wanted some left over. Oh -- I used gluten free elbows, the brown rice variety, for the pasta. We loved this dish and my husband would like me to make this recipe again soon. A keeper, and I loved how quick and easy it was!"
"This was great! I'll double it next time, because there just isn't enough for everyone to enjoy- I added more bacon too- because I like it!"
"This dish surprised me. Honestly, I had never used pepper jack cheese so the spice was a little shock, but delicious. I used wheat macaroni, fat-free and reduced sodium chicken broth, low sodium bacon and skim milk to help with some of the nutritional numbers, but it clearly didn't affect the taste. Delicious!"
"I was really looking forward to making this, but it just didn't turn out like I expected. Maybe it was because I had to increase the recipe for a family of 6, but it just wasn't that great."