Pepper-Crusted Tenderloin Crostini Recipe
Caramelized onions add a touch of sweetness to this elegant appetizer. Use the higher range of pepper if you like a little more zip. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing YIELD:30 servings
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces), cut into 30 slices
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook onions in 3 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar; cook over low heat for 30-40 minutes longer or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 2. Meanwhile, rub oil over tenderloin. Combine the pepper, garlic and salt; rub over beef. In a large skillet, brown beef on all sides. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat horseradish and remaining butter until blended. Spread over bread slices. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- 5. Thinly slice the beef; place on toasted bread. Top with caramelized onions. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 112 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC