Pepper-Crusted Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry red wine or beef broth, divided
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (2 pounds)
- 1 large potato, quartered
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon horseradish sauce
- 5 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon minced chives, optional
- 3 tablespoons ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1. Pour 1 cup wine into a large resealable plastic bag; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 2. Place potato in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash with cheese, milk, 2 tablespoons butter, bacon, horseradish sauce, 2 garlic cloves, garlic salt and chives if desired; set aside.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. In a small bowl, combine the coffee, brown sugar, pepper and 1 teaspoon salt; rub over beef. Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the tenderloin to within 3/4 in. of bottom. Open tenderloin so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 3/4 in. thickness. Remove plastic wrap; mound potato mixture over the center. Close tenderloin; tie at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 40-45 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove meat to a serving platter. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook onion and remaining garlic in oil and remaining butter over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in the lemon juice, remaining wine and salt. Slice tenderloin; serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 356 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein .
Reviews for Pepper-Crusted Beef Tenderloin
"This is delicious - will make it again"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.