Pepper Cheese Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups finely diced green peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a small skillet, saute peppers in 1 tablespoon oil for 15 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, honey, salt and remaining oil to 110°-115°. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese. Stir in 2 eggs and reserved peppers; add to yeast mixture. Add 2 cups flour and wheat germ; beat until smooth. Sir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; spoon into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Beat water and remaining egg; brush over loaves. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice: 143 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Pepper Cheese Bread
"great! enjoyed by all."
"I used whole wheat flour instead of wheat germ. I also sautéed about 8small jalapeños instead of green peppers. The bread was delicious. Will definitely make this again."
"My family loves it...."
"This recipe really showcases the flavors of the green peppers and cheddar cheese. I like to use sharp cheddar. When we have a bumper crop of peppers, this is a delicious way to use them."
"Can this be made in a bread machine?"
"Is the wheat germ really necessary? What does it add? Can I substitute more flour or other ingredient?"