- 1-1/2 cups finely diced green peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small skillet, saute peppers in 1 tablespoon oil for 15 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, honey, salt and remaining oil to 110°-115°. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese. Stir in 2 eggs and reserved peppers; add to yeast mixture. Add 2 cups flour and wheat germ; beat until smooth. Sir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; spoon into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Beat water and remaining egg; brush over loaves. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Pepper Cheese Bread
Sort By :
"great! enjoyed by all."
"This was quick and easy and tasted excellent with bean soup. I used rapid rise yeast so only had to raise it once and replaced wheat germ with cornmeal because that was what was on hand."
"Delicious bread. Perfect to be served with soup & salad."
"I used whole wheat flour instead of wheat germ. I also sautéed about 8small jalapeños instead of green peppers. The bread was delicious. Will definitely make this again."
"My family loves it...."