Pepper Avocado Salsa Recipe
Much of our summer menu is done on the grill, and peppers and avocados are favorites in my family. That led me to create this recipe to help spice up our barbecued entrees. I have also served it as an appetizer or thin wedges of bread and as a topping for easy country-style dishes like chicken and rice pilaf. With our 14-year-old daughter, we live on 4 wooded acres on Mt. Pisqua. -Theresa Mullens, Gill, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:14 servings
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup each diced green, sweet red and yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, peel and chop the avocado; stir into the salsa. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 49 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC