Peoria Chili Recipe
When you come into the house and pick up the aroma of this chili, it seems to welcome you and warm the entire house. My mother was a very good cook, and a meal of her chili, corn bread, hot cinnamon cocoa and devil's food cake brings back some of my fondest memories of her. —Norma Erne, Albuquerque, New Mexico
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 10 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, chili powder, sugar, salt and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. Stir in beans; heat through. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 288 calories, 826 mg sodium, 64 mg cholesterol, 28 gm carbohydrate, 26 gm protein, 9 gm fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC