- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, chili powder, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. Stir in beans; heat through. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Peoria Chili
Sort By :
"I DID prepare this chili and If I am not mistaken, I'd pared it down for my mother and myself by halving the recipe. I believe I'd used the tomato juice, canned tomatoes and kidney beans, using 1/2 the amount since it's just my mother and myself! I added 1 cup chopped celery, 1 Tbsp.chili powder, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper & 1 garlic glove, crushed. I simmered the chili 2 hours and stirred occasionally. I stirred in 1 can ofkidney beans and let cook 1/2 hour!That way, the beans wouldn't be mushy!This recipe was delicious! Thank you for sharing it! Dawn E. Lowenstein"
"My new go-to recipe for chili."
"Very easy and very tasty!"