Peoria Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, chili powder, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. Stir in beans; heat through. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Peoria Chili(4)
Sort By :
This is a great recipe for when you are craving good old-fashioned basic chili. I added chopped green/red bell pepper , celery and garlic to the onion/ground beef. Seasoned the ground beef and veggies with Emeril's Essence and Worcestershire sauce while cooking. Family was very pleased. We are going to use the leftovers tonight for chili dogs. This easy recipe is going into my regular rotation. Thanks!
I DID prepare this chili and If I am not mistaken, I'd pared it down for my mother and myself by halving the recipe. I believe I'd used the tomato juice, canned tomatoes and kidney beans, using 1/2 the amount since it's just my mother and myself! I added 1 cup chopped celery, 1 Tbsp.chili powder, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper & 1 garlic glove, crushed. I simmered the chili 2 hours and stirred occasionally. I stirred in 1 can of
kidney beans and let cook 1/2 hour!
That way, the beans wouldn't be mushy!
This recipe was delicious! Thank you for sharing it! Dawn E. Lowenstein
My new go-to recipe for chili.
Very easy and very tasty!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Chili >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chili Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Chili Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Ground Beef Chili Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Low Fat Chili Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Chili >